The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI are pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Center (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmospheric Research Center (CARE-C). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic feature of the institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for a Post-Doctoral Fellow to pursue research at the interface between materials science modelling and scientific computing. The successful candidate will be actively engaged in ongoing research projects at the Cyprus Institute, in particular, the prestigious European Research Area (ERA) Chair in Modelling and Simulation for Engineering Applications (SimEA), a prestigious five year, 2.5 Million Euro grant led by Prof. Vangelis Harmandaris; whilst also supporting the activities of CaSToRC as the National HPC competence centre within the context of the EuroCC2 project.
The Post-Doctoral Fellow will pursue research in Computational Science and Engineering with emphasis on multi-scale modelling, simulations and application of data analytics approaches for the study of complex nanostructured materials. The selected applicant will be integrated in the team managed by the ERA Chair and will be actively engaged in on-going research at CaSToRC associated with HPC, Data Analytics methods and the development of novel algorithms for large-scale computational infrastructures.
The initial appointment is for a period of 2 years, with the option of renewal subject to performance and the availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate. Travel funding will also be provided for attending training events and presenting at prestigious conferences globally.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
The successful candidate will be engaged in one of the following research topics, according to the area of specialization:
- Multi-scale computational modelling of complex nanostructured materials, such as polymer nanocomposites and star polymer electrolytes; OR
- Development and application of Data Analytics and Machine Learning methods for the development of atomistic and mesoscopic models for complex molecular systems.
Within either of these topics, the SimEA Post-Doctoral Fellow will be involved in the following
- Developing algorithms and codes for simulations/data analytics in engineering applications.
- Performing large-scale computations in computational engineering.
- Analysing results and assume a leading role in the preparation of research manuscripts.
- Writing proposals for accessing computational resources.
- A PhD degree in Physical Sciences, Mathematics, Life Sciences, Computational Engineering or Computer Science
(The candidate must hold a PhD degree of a recognized higher education institution before the deadline of the opening. Candidates who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply provided that they can document their successful defense of the thesis)
- Previous experience in molecular simulations and/or data analytics methods for complex molecular systems.
- Previous experience in at least two of the following areas: multi-scale modelling, molecular dynamics, statistical methods, data analytics, machine learning algorithms and stochastic (Monte Carlo) methods.
- Publications in high-impact factor journals.
- Participation in top international scientific conferences
Additional skills/knowledge/experience required
- Excellent knowledge of statistics and data analytics methods.
- Excellent knowledge of programming languages such as C, C++, Fortran90, and Python.
- An understanding of High-Performance Computing (OpenMP, OpenAcc, MPI, CUDA).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- High-level communication and strong scientific and technical writing skills;
- Proficiency in oral and written English.
- High level of organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, list of publications and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Prof Vangelis Harmandaris ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Prof Vangelis Harmandaris