The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations and cross-disciplinary research and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
The Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre of excellence (CARE-C) invites applications for the position of Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Atmospheric Sciences to join the Cyprus atmospheric Observatory (CAO, https://cao.cyi.ac.cy/) team. The position offers excellent possibilities for development of highly motivated individuals in the framework of the EU-H2020 “EMME-CARE” (Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre; http://emme-care.cyi.ac.cy/; TEAMING Grant no. 856612), within which the Cyprus Institute established a “Centre of Excellence” in Climate and Atmosphere research for the EMME region in cooperation with EU Advanced Partners (Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany; University of Helsinki in Finland; and CEA in France).
The successful candidate will contribute in advancing the CARE-C’s research and innovation agenda in its scientific focus of Environmental Observations area through experimental research or reactive trace gases and particularly on Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC). A newly acquired Proton Transfer Reaction – Time of Flight – Mass Spectrometer (PTR-ToF-MS 4000, Ionicon Analytik GmbH.) and a Portable Gas Exchange System (GFS-3000; WalzGmbH) will be used as the core instrumentation for the research investigations.
The selected candidate will investigate biogenic VOCs in the soil-biosphere-atmosphere interface and in the context of climate change in the EMME region. He/she will be responsible for performing flux observations of bVOCs and CO2 in agricultural environments, establishing links between the emissions, plant physiology and environmental drivers, emphasizing in the effect of temperature.
The position will be on a full-time basis for a fixed period, renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Responsible for the operation of a PTR-ToF-MS system in the laboratory and in field campaigns, following international standard operating procedures;
- Responsible for data processing using advanced software tools;
- Contribute to research related activities to VOC emissions from biogenic sources;
- Contribute to research related activities to the atmospheric chemistry implications of VOCs;
- Contribute to publications and communicate the research output and implications at different levels, including academic, public and policy related;
- Actively pursue regional and international networking, by participating in national and international conferences;
- Co-supervise research projects/students;
- Willingness to participate in training of new research staff.
- PhD in one of the below:
- Atmospheric Chemistry
- Environmental Sciences
- Plant Physiology
- Authored/co‐authored at least five peer‐reviewed publications
- Three years of relevant experience (including PhD)
- Research experience on Volatile Organic Compounds;
- Participation in field campaigns;
- International experience;
- Driving license;
- Experience with trace gas instrumentation;
- Excellent programming skills (e.g. Python, Matlab, R);
- Excellent knowledge of English, both verbal and writing;
- Strong analytical and organizational skills;
- High interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team;
- Willingness to travel and spend time in campaigns and in Partner Organizations;
- Willingness to participate in the educational programs of the Institute.
- Hand-on PTR-ToF-MS and Portable Photosynthesis systems
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest and a list of two (2) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Assist. Prof. Dr. Efstratios Bourtsoukidis ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled.
Contact person: Efstratios Bourtsoukidis
Reference number: CARE-C_PDF_21_08(1)