The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
CyI invites applications for a highly motivated and qualified researcher to join the Institute at the position of Post-doctoral Research Fellow or Associate Research Scientist at STARC. STARC is devoted to the development, introduction and use of advanced science and technology methods in the field of archaeology and cultural heritage. At STARC, the faculty, research scientists, and doctoral students, often in partnership with national or international research organizations, employ diverse and multidisciplinary methods to explore the past of Cyprus and the broader Eastern Mediterranean.
The successful candidate will be part of the MetaMobility project (Research and Innovation Foundation EXCELLENCE/0421/0376). The candidate will coordinate, along with the PI (Dr E. Nikita) and a group of research assistants, the processing and analysis of data and metadata related to the mobility patterns of Hellenistic and Roman populations of the Eastern Mediterranean. These data will later be compared against patterns generated using agent-based models and/or other computer simulation models that will attempt to infer palaeomobility patterns (empirical validation).
The rank of the position will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. The appointment will be on a full-time basis for a period of 12 months. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
In case of hiring a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow:
- Analyze data and metadata related to the mobility patterns of ancient peoples of the Mediterranean;
- Run computer simulations that will attempt to reproduce palaeomobility patterns, which will be later empirically validated based on archaeological data;
- Prepare deliverables to report the progress of the project to the Research and Innovation Foundation (RIF) of Cyprus;
- Prepare visual representations of the data and the models simulating the data;
- Present the findings in local and international conferences and scientific publications.
In the case of hiring an Associate Research Scientist:
All above plus:
- Contribute to the expansion of the STARC bioarchaeology open access databases;
- Actively participate in interim and final evaluation by the RIF;
- Enhance STARC’s networking with the international computational science community;
- Publish results in international peer-reviewed journals.
- A PhD degree in the natural sciences, computer science, applied mathematics, and/or statistics
- A publication record and presentations in international conferences on computer simulations is expected
- 2 year experience after completion of PhD for Post-Doctoral Research Fellow and 4 year experience for Associate Research Scientist
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python, C++ or similar
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to adapt to a multicultural/multinational environment
- Fluency in spoken and written English
In addition, for the Associate Research Scientist rank:
- Knowledge of agent-based modeling software such as NetLogo or equivalent
- Prior working experience with European Commission or Cypriot-funded projects
- Prior familiarity with projects related to archaeological science is a competitive advantage
- Strong knowledge of statistics and data manipulation using Python (Pandas or similar) will be considered an advantage
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, list of publications and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Dr Efthymia Nikita ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Dr Efthymia Nikita
Reference number: STARC_PDF_22_11