The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for a highly qualified and motivated individual to join the EEWRC, Energy team as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow Position to work for the European funded project ‘’Solar Facilities for the European Research Area (Sfera III). This project addresses advanced science challenges and integrated research activities in the field of Concentrating Solar Thermal (CST) by integrating key European research infrastructures into an ambitious wide project aiming at offering to the R&D community a new level of high-quality services.
The successful candidate is expected to carry out research on desalination and water treatment activities both hardware (experiments) and software (modeling). Moreover, the successful candidate will be engaged in the current activities related to i) Multiple Effect Distillation (MED) process, ii) Forward Osmosis (FO) process, and brine management and zero liquid discharge (ZLD). Furthermore, the successful candidate will be involved with modeling activities, related to thermal desalination process, solar powered desalination process, and comparison between PV Reverse Osmosis with solar driven desalination processes.
In addition, the successful candidate will be collaborating with project partners in carrying out common research activities, drafting deliverable, organizing and hosting researchers and staff. The candidate is expected to be reporting the findings in ways both appealing to a wider audience (e.g. presentations, conferences, memos), as well as through academic publications / contributions. Some travelling may be required, in accordance to public health regulations.
The appointment will be on a full-time basis, until December 2023 with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Contacting Research related to European projects mostly focus in desalination and water treatment.
- Being involved in activities such as modelling and experiments.
- Drafting research proposals
- Engaging with European and international industry and research / academia
- Writing scientific publications and project reports / deliverables
- PhD in Environmental Sciences or Science or Engineering such as Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering and Physics
- At least one year of relevant experience after obtaining the PhD
- At least 2 peer reviewed publications
- At least 1 conference proceeding
- Conference participation
- Experience in research related to desalination and water treatment
- Excellent analytical, organizational and planning skills
- Excellent knowledge of English language both verbal and written
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation skills of scientific results
- Experimental research experience in desalination
- Experimental research experience in heat transfer and/or solar?thermal engineering
- Previous experimental work with desalination processes and particularly Multiple Effect Distillation and / or Forward Osmosis
- Previous experience in modelling desalination process
- Previous experience in modelling desalination processes coupled with renewable energy sources
- Controls, monitoring and automation
- Experience in using LabVIEW software
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, list of publications and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Dr. Marios C. Georgiou ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Marios C. Georgiou