The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for a highly qualified and motivated individual to join the Institute as a Post‐Doctoral Research Fellow in Water Resources Engineering and Hydro‐diplomacy. The successful candidate will work closely with the EEWRC team in order to develop a novel approach which propose water hydro‐diplomacy modeling scenarios for an integrated water mass concept (conventional and nonconventional), in relation with the United Nations Convention 1997‐article 6 parameters: (a) geographic, hydrographic, hydrological, climatic, ecological and other factors of a natural character; (b) the social and economic needs of the watercourse States concerned; (c) the population dependent on the watercourse in each watercourse State; (d) the effects of the use or uses of the watercourses in one watercourse State on other watercourse States; (e) existing and potential uses of the watercourse; (f) conservation, protection, development and economy of use of the water resources of the watercourse and the costs of measures taken to that effect; (g) the availability of alternatives, of comparable value, to a particular planned or existing use.
These modeling scenarios will highlight the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs 2, 6 and 7), and the Water‐Energy‐Food‐Ecosystem Nexus for mitigating the water‐related conflicts in the EMME countries. Such approach aims to propose a technical solution (toolkit) reaching a win‐win agreement between the Blue Nile riparian countries (Ethiopia, Sudan, and Egypt) and the Jordan River Basin riparian countries (Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine, and Israel) based on “equitable sharing and reasonable use concept. Realizing the research objectives will contribute to: (i) securing the domestic water needs for all riparian countries, (ii) promoting the irrigated agriculture amongst all riparian countries, (iii) satisfying the energy demands for all riparian countries, and (iv) securing the food needs for all riparian countries.
The initial period of the appointment will be for a duration of 30 months with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Carrying out an onsite and offsite collection of the needed water‐related data for achieving the research objectives.
- Data post processing in MATLAB/PYTHON (or in any other similar platform) to evaluate the parameters in the field of water allocation.
- Employing the scientific (e.g. statistical and mathematical modeling) and technical tools (e.g. WEAP and ESRI‐GIS) to realize the win‐win solution for water allocation among riparian countries of the Nile River Basin and Jordan River Basin.
- Drafting and publishing of scientific article/s.
- Communicating the results and implications of research conducted at EEWRC at all levels including the water‐related decision makers.
- PhD degree in one of the following: Water Resources Engineering, Civil and/or Environmental Engineering, Hydrology, or Water Governance.
- Authored/co‐authored at least five peer‐reviewed publications
- Proficiency in computer programing (e.g., Matlab, Python, R)
- Experience in hydrological modeling and water resources applications (GIS, WEAP, ARC‐Hydro, HEC‐HMS).
- Good knowledge of using Machine Learning techniques
- At least three years of experience including research and lecturing (including the PhD period)
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to perform high‐quality research/ work both individually and as part of a team
- Excellent knowledge of English, both verbal and writing
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- High interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- The participation and presentation of research work at international conferences.
- Experience in writing proposals for funding agencies.
- Proficiency in Arabic will be considered as advantage since most of the riparian countries in the selected cases are Arabic‐speaking countries.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://onlinerecruitment.exelsyslive.com/?c=6E7274A2-8EBA-4BEA-905B-06F790EEB566) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Prof. Fadi Comair ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equals Opportunity employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Prof. Fadi Comair ([email protected])
Reference number: EEWRC_PDF_22_08