The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
Within this context, CyI in cooperation with Advanced Partners Max Planck Institute for Chemistry, University of Helsinki and Commission for Atomic Energy – Laboratory for Sciences of the Climate and the Environment, established the “(CARE-C) Eastern Mediterranean Middle East – Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre of Excellence” under Horizon 2020 – TEAMING Grant no. 856612 and in the framework of the P2P/JPICH_CPU/0619/0060, SHIELD project, which is co-funded by the European Initiatives – National Development and the Republic of Cyprus through the Research Innovation Foundation.
The Unmanned Systems Research Laboratory (USRL; http://usrl.cyi.ac.cy) is one of the flagship Research & Development (R&D) facilities of the CyI with mission to provide services and support to research projects which require the utilization of specialized UAS, as well as developing cutting edge technology in the field of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)
The facility is operating various sizes of fixed and rotary wing UAS, a mobile Ground Control Station and a fully equipped laboratory and workshop dedicated to Unmanned Systems and their Applications. USRL is currently involved in various fields of research, including atmospheric sciences, environmental surveillance, and photogrammetry (for 3D reconstruction of terrain and constructions).
In order to further extend its R&D activities in the field of UAS the Cyprus Institute is seeking for a Mechanical Engineer to assist the USRL in terms of design and development of unmanned aircraft and related components.
The rank of the position will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. The initial period of the appointment will be for a duration of 1 year with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Designing 2D and 3D drawings using computer-aided modelling software
- Operating computer-aided manufacturing machines in order to produce 2D and 3D prototype components (e.g. CNC Milling & Lathe machines, 3D printers)
- Construction of parts using various materials
- Responsible for running the CNC Machines and 3D Printers
- Responsible to repair and maintain the Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) in terms of mechanical components
- Participating in scheduled Test Flights for the purpose of the development and optimization of the platforms
- Contributing in the development of the Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) (Platform and Ground Control Station)
- Contributing in construction of different types of molds and parts needed by the Composite Laboratory of USRL
- Preparation and maintenance of the drones for fieldwork readiness
- Participate in scheduled Test Flights for the purpose of the development and optimization of the imaging systems
- Participate in field deployment (including research campaigns) and demonstrations of UAVs in Cyprus and abroad
- Ensure compliance with service guidance, Institute’s policy and procedures and Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 1-year of relevant experience
- Experience using CAD software such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD, or similar
- Experience using 3D printers and CNC machines
- High level organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently
- Excellent knowledge of the English language both verbal and writing
- 1 year experience in the field of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Christos Keleshis ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Christos Keleshis
Reference number: CARE-C_ME_22_04