Machine Learning Research Engineer [On-Site/Hybrid/Remote] [Fixed Contract] [Full-Time / Part-Time]
(Computer Science Department – Artificial Intelligence Lab)
The University of Nicosia (www.unic.ac.cy)
The University of Nicosia (UNIC) is the largest university in Cyprus and the largest in Southern Europe that teaches primarily in English, with more than 14,000 students from over 100 countries, a diverse community of faculty and staff, and an expanding worldwide network. UNIC is driving educational innovation in the wider region, with activities like our dynamic global initiative in blockchain technology and centres of excellence in medicine and online/distance learning. UNIC has been ranked among the top 501-600 universities in the world, according to the latest edition of the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2022.
The Artificial Intelligence Lab (ailab.unic.ac.cy):
The AI Lab of the University of Nicosia aims at developing cutting edge technology as well as state-of-the art research on the fields of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Data Science. It consists of professors, Post-Doctoral researchers, PhD Students, as well as undergraduate students that conduct research and collaborate on projects related to a plethora of challenging topics like: Data Science (Data Stream mining, Deep Learning), Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning, Uncertain Reasoning, Bayesian Networks), Smart Cities (Learning from Urban Data), Computational Social Science, Sentiment Analysis, Social Network Analysis and Big Data (Cloud Computing, Distributed Systems, IoT). The team focuses on interdisciplinary topics working with external collaborators from Political Science, Social Science, Journalism and Health. In addition to the research goals the group provides high-quality teaching on relevant topics (e.g., Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining, Machine Learning).
The AI Lab is looking for enthusiastic candidates to take up the critical role of the Machine Learning Research Engineer that will work with other members of the team as well as external partners towards the efficient, successful completion of research projects relevant to Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Processing. More specifically a successful candidate should be able to work independently or as part of a team to design, develop, test, and deploy real-world Machine Learning applications.
This position involves the following duties:
- Conduct requirements analysis for a Machine Learning application, identify functional and non-functional requirements.
- Design the appropriate architecture.
- Set-up the necessary data processing pipeline.
- Train machine learning models on small and big data.
- Evaluate and assess a model’s effectiveness and efficiency.
- Deploy the system to be utilized by end users in real-world scenarios.
- Integrate machine learning components to larger, complex systems.
- Provide easy-to-read documentation.
- Maintain all aspects of the system.
- Present results to colleagues or end-users and provide the necessary visualizations.
- Write reports, user manuals and research publications.
- Deliver machine learning applications as a service.
Funding and Salary
The position is funded by the European H2020 project “ALAMEDA: Bridging the Early Diagnosis and Treatment Gap of Brain Diseases via Smart, Connected, Proactive and Evidence-based Technological Interventions”. The position will be for one year maximum. Given funding availability the contract can be renewed in another relevant project. Compensation will depend on experience and skills of the applicant.
Qualifications Required (Must have)
- A BSc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar.
- MSc in Machine Learning, Data Science, or Artificial Intelligence will be a significant advantage.
- 3-4 years of experience in full-stack machine learning engineering.
- Required Level: Excellent
- Analytical skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Written and oral communication skills in English.
- Programming skills in Python.
- Required Level: Very Good
- Machine Learning libraries in Python (scikit learn, tensorflow).
- Understanding of Machine Learning algorithms.
- Required Level: Good
- Version control.
- Linux Based Environments.
- SQL and NoSQL Database systems (MySQL, MongoDB).
Other Qualifications (Nice to Have)
- Experience in co-authoring research publications.
- PhD in Machine Learning, Data Science, or NLP.
- Willing to pursue a PhD in Machine Learning, Data Science or NLP will be greatly appreciated.
- NLP algorithms, LaTeX, Conversational Agents, and the Rasa framework, MLops, Kubernetes.
- Experience in EU Research projects.
- Option for remote work is available for this position.
- For more information related to the position please contact Dr Ioannis Katakis [email protected]
Applications will be reviewed as soon they are received.
Submit your application
Please submit your CV accompanied by a cover letter to:
- our online recruitment system http://vacancies.unic.ac.cy/. In your cover letter please specify the position you are applying for.
- by email to [email protected]
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.