The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The CyI invites applications for Intern who will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through contributing to the activities of the Instrumentation for Nanoparticle and Nanomaterials Synthesis and Characterisation Laboratory (INL).
The successful candidate will assist senior and junior researchers in the development of novel environmental instrumentation and sensing technologies, running from advanced instruments for the characterization of aerosol particles to sensors employing novel and highly tuneable nanomaterials that can be generated in our lab. The successful candidate will work with state of the art instruments for nanoparticle/nanomaterial synthesis and characterization, and in the analysis of the respective collected data.
The position will be on a full time basis for a fixed term of six months, renewable depending on performance and availability of funds. After the completion of the internship, the candidate will have the opportunity to enroll to a PhD project depending on the interest of the candidate. The successful candidate will be under the supervision of the Head of the INL of CARE-C.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in
- The development/testing/deployment of novel instruments and tools for synthesizing/characterising aerosol nanoparticles.
- The analysis of the data from the above mentioned instruments/tools. For this purpose, the successful candidate will be trained by CyI’s expert teams through hands?on activities/practices to obtain technical skills that are necessary to quality control the data produced.
- Experiments carried out in the INL for characterizing the properties of materials, under the guidance of senior researchers.
- Master degree in Electrical and/or Mechanical and/or Chemical and/or Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Material Sciences
- Familiarity with instrumentation and characterization techniques
- Excellent knowledge of the English language both verbal and writing
- High interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Preferred experience in technology?related research laboratories
- Knowledge of Health & Safety regulations and measures relevant to lab/technical activities.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest and a list of two (2) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact George Biskos ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equals Opportunity employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: George Biskos
Reference number: CARE-C_ININL_22_05