The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees (www.cyi.ac.cy). The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centers: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Center (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmospheric Research Center (CARE-C). Considerable cross-center interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for faculty members at the rank of Assistant, Associate or Full Professor to advance the research and teaching agenda of CyI and its Energy Research Department of the Energy Environment and Water Research Center (EEWRC).
Description of the Position
Principal focus of the envisioned research agenda is the following:
- The development and utilization of novel technologies and processes for harnessing energy from Renewable Energy Sources, storing and efficiently utilizing it; solar energy with emphasis on solar thermal-electric systems is of primary concern and/or
- Storing and harnessing of solar energy, and subsequent utilization in process heat applications in general, and to sea water desalination production in particular, and/or
- Renewable Energy Systems development including grid/microgrid and solar chemistry (including the production of renewable hydrogen) research thrusts.
Priority will be given to those proposing to use or expand the considerable relevant infrastructure of CyI (see: https://energy.cyi.ac.cy/facilities/).
The successful candidate will work in Cyprus and will be offered a tenure or tenure-track position and an attractive salary and benefits package depending on qualifications and level of experience.
Priority in consideration for hiring will be given to the highest rank where qualified applicants are identified. Applicants should specify for which rank they want to be considered.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The new faculty member(s) will be responsible for:
- Helping to shape the Energy Department’s research agenda by developing and implementing strategies appropriate to the Center’s missions and objectives,
- Developing a world-class research program in the stated fields of study and in accord with the mission and developmental plan of the Institute and EEWRC,
- Maximally utilizing the substantial resources and facilities of the Institute, of the PROTEAS facility in particular, in advancing the aforementioned research agenda
- Designing, constructing and operating facilities appropriate to the research lines described above,
- Raising financial and other resources for the needs of the Energy Research Department from national and international sources,
- Contributing to the educational mission of the CyI, including the development of new doctoral and master’s programs and the improvement of existing ones.
- Initiating and sustaining high-level contacts with leading institutions throughout the world that conduct research in areas related to their respective fields.
- Contributing to the technological and commercial maturity and the improvement of the Technological Readiness Level (TRL) of the research infrastructures and the scientific concepts described above.
- Doctoral Degree in a relevant field of Science or Engineering, such as Mechanical, Electrical, Process or Chemical Engineering and Physics or Chemistry
- Proven research record of international standing
- Teaching and postgraduate training record appropriate for the rank they are applying for
- Experience in mentoring and teaching graduate students depending on the rank they are applying for (a strict requirement for the Associate Professor and Professor rank)
- A minimum of three years of post-doctoral research experience or equivalent in relevant fields of research is required for the rank of Assistant Professor; for the ranks of Associate Professor and Professor, international norms typical for Research Universities apply with a minimum requirement of five and seven years of relevant experience respectively.
- Experience in research related to the research lines described above
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and management skills.
- Experimental research experience aligned with the research lines above.
- Experience in modelling of energy components and systems and their integration.
- Ability to model processes (e.g., desalination process) coupled with renewable energy sources
- Knowledge of the Greek language
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, and a list of five (5) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format).
For further information, please contact Ms Christiana Melodias ([email protected]).
Please note that applications which do not fulfil the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact Person: Christiana Melodias
Reference Number: CYI_FPED_22_15