The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for a highly qualified and motivated individual to join the Institute as an Associate Research Scientist in Aerosol Formation Studies in the CARE-C Centre of Excellence. The successful candidate will advance the CARE-C’s research and innovation agenda in its scientific focus of Environmental Observations area through experimental new particle formation research mainly in the field of mass spectrometry using the new MION-APi-TOF and an ultrafine aerosol science using the nCNC and NAIS. The main objective for the candidate is to lead the method development in measuring atmospheric base molecules utilizing the given instrumentation together with the Cyprus Atmospheric Observatory (CAO) technicians and Ph.D. students in the group. As part of the ERC Grant on The role of Base molecules in AErosol formation (BAE), with ref. number 101076311, the candidate will work with focus on the role of base molecules in the formation of new particles and their fate in the atmosphere.
The candidate is expected to support the CAO long-term measurements, and take an active role in the operation of instruments related to NPF observations within the ACTRIS framework. Engagement in international field campaigns and laboratory experiments (CLOUD experiment in CERN) should be expected. In addition, the selected candidate is expected to engage in collaborative projects that are ongoing and successful proposal writing. Active regional and international networking and support participating in educational programs of the Institute will be highly commented.
The initial period of the appointment will be for a duration of 24-months with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Base molecule method development using the MION-APi-TOF
- Supervision of Ph.D. students
- Support to CAO infrastructure, long term observations and technicians
- National and international collaboration, field campaigns and training
- Support in organizing the annual EMME-CARE autumn school
- Initiating and sustaining high-level collaborative projects with leading research institutions that conduct research in areas related to their respective fields;
- Seeking financial and other resources from national and international sources;
- Communicating the results and implications of research conducted at CARE-C and The Cyprus Institute at all levels.
- PhD in Atmospheric or Environmental Sciences, Chemistry, Physics or related field
- Teaching record
- Independent and proactive thinking
- High interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and in a team
- Desire to travel worldwide for work
- Programming skills
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, both verbal and writing
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Driving License
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, list of publications and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Tuija Jokinen ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Tuija Jokinen
Reference number: CARE-C_ARS_23_04